[Dailydrool] Basset Sighting--Lolly & Sport--a flash to the past

Karen Steflik k9casa at escapees.com
Sun Oct 5 20:38:10 PDT 2008

This was an eery experience.  I just bought a Basset Calendar from
Shelly at ABC Rescue (the Browntrout one that is called "For the Love
of Basset Hounds").  I hadn't had a chance to look at it closely and
pulled it out to show Tony.  I sat down to look at the pictures on the
back closer and realized that January is our very own Sport and Lolly
who have both passed away.  I was screaming to Tony in the other
room.  The photo was taken in Alaska in 2001.  We spent the summer up
there that year in our motorhome and ran into Fred Hirschmann, the
photographer, at a campground in Fairbanks.  He took a bunch of photos
of Sport and Lolly at about 10:30pm when the midnight sun was just
beginning to go down, and then we signed a waiver.  We kept an eye out
for years for the photos to surface and then gave up.  Well, here it
is 7 years later, and they surfaced.  It's bittersweet as they were
our first two Bassets and they are both gone now.  It's neat to see
them in print but it's very sad too, such a weird feeling.  It brings
up so many emotions and makes me feel like we just lost them all over
again, especially with Pippi and Marigold recently passing.

It's so ironic as Shelly has about 6 calendars for sale and this is
the one I just happen to choose.

Karen and the k9casa
Lolly and Sport, both gone but never forgotten and now in print
Spike, Snowy, Gomer, Rosie, and George

Spike    www.dogster.com/?54883
Snowy  www.dogster.com/?56174
Gomer  www.dogster.com/?344428