[Dailydrool] Happy Gotcha day Clara the Younger

sally king sally.king at nqe.com
Mon Oct 6 02:41:09 PDT 2008

Can it really be a year since Younger Clara marched into our lives?
I remember it clearly. A phone call from the local Basset Hound Welfare co-ordinator asking if I was interested in a tri coloured female, aged 3 and 1/2.
The co-ordinator, also called Sally, explained the little bitch had bitten a toddler in the household. Aparently it was completely out of character and the child's skin had not been broken, but the mum had freaked out and thrown the dog out in the garden. For three days.
This hound was not used to being treated like that. She had been the baby of the house, sharing cuddles on the sofa and nights in human beds, and suddenly she was an outside dog.
She barked. And barked. The door was not opened.
The mum said she couldn't have a dog 'going on' like that all day. She had to go.
When I got to Sally's house,  there sat her husband with a tiny basset girl on a lead. We sat down and Dave let go.
Without a blink the little dog stomped straight up to us. Fearlessly she looked us up and down. She was clearly thinking "OK, so you're my new people are you? Well, you look OK."
We took her for a walk with Rolph and there was not a moment's worry. We loaded them in the back of the car, behind the dog guard and before we even left Sally's drive, Clara had squeezed through the guard and curled up on my daughter's lap.
Within days she and Rolph were snuggled up together on the dog beds - except at night, when she would repeatedly try and get into bed with me.
The first night I put her back on the floor several times before falling asleep. I woke in the morning to find myself looking into two melt-your-heart brown eyes.
We're still working on that.
Anyway, happy gotcha day little girl. You are the sweetest, gentlest little thing and exceptionally well behaved (for a basset).
Sally and my vet both believe the mum just didn't want Clara any more. She was bought as a child substitute, then the baby turned up and she was surplas to requirements.
That makes me angry, but I am so glad to have my little lady.

This email has been scanned for viruses and other threats
using Newsquest's Ironport email filters

This e-mail, including any attachment, is private and
confidential.
It should not be read, copied, disclosed or otherwise used by
any person other than the intended recipient(s).
If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the
sender immediately.
Newsquest reserves the right to monitor e-mails in
accordance with the Telecommunications (Lawful Business
Practice)
(Interception of Communications) Regulations 2000.

Newsquest Media Group Limited.
Registered in England, number 3105111 .  Registered office:
58 Church Street, Weybridge, Surrey KT13 8DP