[Dailydrool] Daisy May's itching

Bassetmomof2 at aol.com Bassetmomof2 at aol.com
Tue Oct 7 07:14:46 PDT 2008

As much as we hated to do it last month when the Benadryl wasn't working  for Freddie's itching we had to get Hydroxyzine from our vet (actually vet gives  us scrip to take to Sam's club, much cheaper).  Then when that alone didn't  work we had to add prednisone.  Freddie was on the pred for about 3 weeks,  but only full dose for one week to get the scratching under  control.  We went down to half a tablet daily, then every other  day.  He has been off it for a few days now and I'm praying the itching  doesn't return.  Our vet has us bathing him once a week and a drooler  suggested we use dandruff shampoo.  They suggested that oatmeal shampoo  actually makes it worse.  The Selsun blue works - he feels great.   Still has a tiny bit of itching but the weekly bath usually takes care of  it.  We also wipe him down after he's been running in grasses outside.

I have heard that some dogs are allergic to chicken.  I know when I  removed it from Freddie's diet he did much better.  We found Avoderm  dogfood.  We spend $27 for 17.5 pounds.  Not cheap but not the most  expensive either.  Its lamb and rice is specifically for sensitive skin and  sensitive stomach dogs.  I have one of each, so this works great for  us.  The only thing is their stools are a bit bigger, but their skin and  tummies are much happier.   They are so soft to pet.  So I deal  with the larger stool as long as they are doing well on it.

I know prednisone is not a great drug but when you have to use it short  term, it really works.  We really tried to avoid it this year but poor  Freddie couldn't take the itching.  Daisy may just need a couple weeks of  meds to get over this allergy season.  You should speak with your  vet.  I would also change the food back to Iams if she wasn't having  trouble.  I know its not as great as it was 15 years ago but if she's doing  well on it, why change.? Sounds like she's reacting to the BB.  That's just  my opinion, I'm no pro but we have tried several foods and found any with  chicken were giving Freddie skin issues.

Best of luck to you and we hope she feels better soon!
Helene, Freddie and Ellie

**************New MapQuest Local shows what's happening at your destination.  Dining, Movies, Events, News & more. Try it out!      (http://local.mapquest.com/?ncid=emlcntnew00000001)