[Dailydrool] Brenda's blog

Jessica Sutton Jessica at fmprofessionals.com
Thu Oct 9 11:56:00 PDT 2008

Brenda - I just read your blog, and trust me you are not alone in the
way you feel.  When I read Bev's post my whole body cringed at the
thought of what she had written, mostly because I knew just how true her
words were and how little most people cared.  While I do agree that
much, much more needs to be done to educate the public about the
NECESSITY of spaying and neutering your pets and controlling the pet
population BEFORE it gets to the point where innocent animals are put
down simply because there are no resources available for them, I do feel
like the less humane thing to do would be to allow these animals to roam
around as strays, contracting diseases, starving to death, living day to
day suffering or dying by the side of a road after being hit by a car.
We all have seen homeless people, sitting by a street corner begging for
food or money, dirty, sick and suffering.  I would be willing to bet
that if you asked some of these people if they prefer to continue life
as they are living it now, or be given a shot and put quietly to sleep,
never to awaken again, they would probably choose the latter.  Please
don't get me wrong here, I am NOT suggesting we place the homeless in
kennels and euthanize them...that is ridiculous, however, in a situation
such as the overpopulation of pets, where our choices are to allow them
the freedom of roaming the streets and fending for themselves, or
putting them to sleep to keep them from a short life of much suffering,
as painful as it may be to comprehend, I believe the latter may be the
most humane.  I think the first step is to get the word out about
preventing more and more animals from coming into this world until we
have gotten this overpopulation crisis under control.  If anyone has any
suggestions as to how we, as a pretty big group, can go about making
this a top priority for our city, state and national government, maybe
by putting pressure on our local elected officials or joining an
existing campaign to create awareness, I would love to hear about it.  I
think it's time we all get up and do something more.  We owe it to our
beloved friends and to ourselves as members of the human race.  We are
better than this!!!

Jessica L. Sutton