[Dailydrool] Arthur can't keep food down

Ann Hefner anniebh at acsol.net
Sat Oct 11 19:14:50 PDT 2008

I'm way behind on my Drools, so my prayers are with those who need Drool; Arthur has been sick and he can't keep food down.  I need help diagnosing.   His back surgery was a wonderful success.  He was doing great, but then started acting funny.  We thought he had over exerted himself and hurt his back or that the prednisone for his back was making him sick.  He threw up 9 times Thursday, so I took him to the clinic on Friday.  He spent the day there; didn't throw up.  They gave him all kinds of tummy meds, ex-rayed his stomach.  His Friday breakfast was still in his stomach late Friday afternoon, so they kept him overnight.  They said the food should pass through the stomach in 3 hours.  He had no food Friday night, and this morning (Saturday) they ex-rayed again and the food had passed through, so no evidence that he ate something that is blocking him.  They sent him home with Science Diet ID (intestinal diet) and said to give him a little at a time.  He had 1/4 can this morning when we got home, then a little more around 1:00 then a little more about 4:00.  At 5:00 I noticed him hunching over in a corner eating up his vomit.  So he was sick again.  I am hoping he makes it through the night without getting sick.  I don't think there is any food left in his tummy to come up.   This is reminisent of Bucky, when he couldn't hold food down, and $6000 later they were still strugging their shoulders saying they didn't know what was wrong and he died.  Any ideas would be great.  Ann