[Dailydrool] dented cans

froggie froggie0310 at bellsouth.net
Sun Oct 12 10:18:16 PDT 2008

We must be very bad parents here.  When we lived in Missouri and were barely making ends meet on an E-5's salary but had two kids, three hounds, a cat and numerous foster dogs, I shopped at a little store in town called "Salvage Grocery."  Were it not for that place, we'd never have had enough food on our table.  Fast forward to present day and I still scour the "scratch and dent" section of the commissary---even with our Soldier Daddy an E-8Promotable.  I  know all of that is safe because it has to be inspected and dated before they're allowed to offer it to the public.  Our kids have never been sick other than head colds.  Our dogs, the ones who ate the canned food, were gettting it to keep them eating after cancer diagnoses late in life.

I've bought lots of dented dog food cans at the commissary because they're all as a result of cans falling when the shelves are being stocked.  (Shoot--I dropped them myself when loading mycart!)  It's bulging cans you really have to worry about; those are the ones where something is growing inside (salmonella, botulism, etc...)

Susan and the Hoptown  Bassets + 6
Murphy, Jeremiah, Twinkie, Walter, Rusty Paws (ATB),Sammy (ATB), Nellie (ATB), Barney Boy (ATB) &  Bert(ATB), Bianca(ATB), Sapper, Poppi, Ginger, Danica, Joyful and Kristie
Bluegrass Basset Rescue, Inc
A Basset is an Asset!