[Dailydrool] Proud mum

sally king sally.king at nqe.com
Tue Oct 14 07:41:20 PDT 2008

Rolph amazes me sometimes - and not just when he comes up with a new wickedness.

This moring we were returning from our morning walk. We had just passed an infant school (ages 3 to 6) and turned the corner into our own road, when he stopped dead. I couldn't shift him. Not flat basset, just stationary basset.
He looked worried about something.

On the opposite corner was a little girl on a bike, aged around 4. There was no adult in sight. I waited for a while, partly coz Rolph wouldn't budge and partly to check an adult did turn up. Nothing. The kiddie was looking at the dogs and smiling. She even waved at them, so I asked where her mummy was. She just gestured behind her - but no mum appeared.

I was just wondering what to do, after all, to this mite I was a stranger, when a dad who I pass every morning with his own little girl came along. Luckily he knew her, as he used her name, and again asked where mum was. Once Rolph saw someone had taken on the situation he, very reluctantly, allowed himself to be dragged away.

But what an amazing instinct. He saw something was wrong and I just wouldn't have seen it if he hadn't dug his heels in.

Sally with Protector Rolph and Clara (come on, she's just a kid, we see them every morning)

This email has been scanned for viruses and other threats
using Newsquest's Ironport email filters

This e-mail, including any attachment, is private and
confidential.
It should not be read, copied, disclosed or otherwise used by
any person other than the intended recipient(s).
If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the
sender immediately.
Newsquest reserves the right to monitor e-mails in
accordance with the Telecommunications (Lawful Business
Practice)
(Interception of Communications) Regulations 2000.

Newsquest Media Group Limited.
Registered in England, number 3105111 .  Registered office:
58 Church Street, Weybridge, Surrey KT13 8DP