[Dailydrool] CON WARNING

sally king sally.king at nqe.com
Wed Oct 15 05:44:49 PDT 2008

This is a new scam in the UK. I have no doubt it will appear in the US and elsewhere soon - if it hasn't already.

Basically I woman I know saw  a 'free to a good home' ad for a 2 or 3 month old basset puppy. She contacted the male advertiser who explained his work pattern had changed and he was no longer able to give enough time to the pup. (so far, so usual).
The woman trotted out all her credentials - experienced basset mum, worked from home, no small kids etc. The man was delighted and said she sounded ideal and could have the dog. He would e-mail details later.

Then the mail turned up saying because of work he was unable to deliver the dog to her, but had arranged a courier for £150 - which she would have to pay before he 'dispatched' the dog.

She responded by saying she would pick it up. To give an address and time and she would be there (she was smelling a rat by this point).

He answered with an address (probably fake), but then said the pup's papers were with his 'vet' who had moved to the Cameroon and she needed to send £50 to release the papers, because the pup couldn't travel without its papers.

There is no law in the UK about moving dogs without papers. No vet licenced to practice in the UK could emigrate and take vital medical papers with them.

This was a con and luckily the woman saw it for what it was. Inexperienced dog owners, or those from countries with different rules, might just be taken in.

Some people are cr at p. Give me dogs any day.

Sally with Rolph and Clara, UK

This email has been scanned for viruses and other threats
using Newsquest's Ironport email filters

This e-mail, including any attachment, is private and
confidential.
It should not be read, copied, disclosed or otherwise used by
any person other than the intended recipient(s).
If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the
sender immediately.
Newsquest reserves the right to monitor e-mails in
accordance with the Telecommunications (Lawful Business
Practice)
(Interception of Communications) Regulations 2000.

Newsquest Media Group Limited.
Registered in England, number 3105111 .  Registered office:
58 Church Street, Weybridge, Surrey KT13 8DP