[Dailydrool] Naughty Basset

J gr zoogle24 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 18:16:12 PDT 2008

Well I was so proud of our puppy pup for graduating last week from
puppy school.  She was not the top of her class but we have made some
real progress on her behavior and learning how we need to interact
with us.  Well my fiance called me at work today and told me she got
his wallet of the dinning room table and destroyed everything in it.
She left puncture marks in the credit cards and virtually ate
everything.  He said he has given her plenty of attention during the
day and worked on her training commands.  Lucy has a ton of chew toys
and bones.  The kicker was that he left some bacon grease out in a
bowl on the counter and she left that alone.

When we leave her home alone, we put her in the kennel, because we
don't trust her.  She has gone a few weeks without counter surfing.
We even had a can full of pennys waiting on the counter for the past
few weeks under a dish towel hoping she would take the bait.  So I'm a
bit frustrated as to why she would be so destructive.  We give her a
ton of love and quality time, daily walks.

Lucy turns one this Sunday.  We did our first round of training at
Petsmart and it was ok.  It was not top notch and I have been talking
to other dog owners on where to go for training.  We were going to
wait a few months and reinforce what we have already learned, sit,
stay, drop it.  Oh I'm just so frustrated with her sometimes..
thankfully she is adorable.

I'm partly venting, but does anyone know why she would do something
destructive.  I don't feel like we should live in a house where we
have to watch everything like prison guards.  Do I need a dedicated
dog whisper?  Any basset owners in Seattle are with good mannered
hounds want to mentor me so I don't lose my sanity!!