[Dailydrool] Naughty Basset

Sandi Wittenberg sandi at redbaybassets.com
Thu Oct 16 19:15:25 PDT 2008

Lucy is simply acting like a basset.  A dog's only way of exploring their
world is by tasting.   My guess would be that the wallet was probably
leather - that is a natural attractant - think of rawhide chew toys.  That
is also what makes dogs like shoes.  I have had dogs all of my life - some
are more active chewers than others.  Some are more prone to taking things
than others.  Norm, who is a year old, never counter cruises or takes
anything.  Grady, who is nine, is a thief - no pen is safe if he can reach
it - he reads with his eye teeth - waste baskets are primary targets.  My
solution is to be very watchful and remove temptation.  Do I correct the
behavior - absolutely!  But who's problem is it - mine.  It is my
responsibility to be sure that I don't leave things within basset reach if I
don't want to risk "sharing" them.

Keep going with the training and try not to lose your patience.  Lucy is
still very young and a puppy in many ways.  I never trust my bassets until
they are 3 years old - and even then, some (like Grady) can never be
trusted.

Sandi Wittenberg - Red Bay Bassets

sandi at redbaybassets.com