[Dailydrool] Naughty Basset

Patty Crawford gusandto at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 16 21:29:28 PDT 2008

     I had to laugh about Lucy. I personally have had good pretty luck with Gus and Tallulah but my BF Joni as an Evil Basset "The Evil EARL Monster". When Earl was a puppy if it was not out of his reach he would destroy it we called it Earlalized.
Wallets, shoes, purses, phones have all been victims. I have even been a victim of Earl over the years because I houndy sit over their when Joni and Gary travel.
     My favorite one is when Earl was about 2 I was houndy sitting. I had just got to the house after work,took of my dress boots and place the on top of Earl's Big crate in the back (no access from the sides just the front)thinking that he couldn't reach them went to the garage really fast to change clothes (he steals socks). I opened the door to see these black chunks of something on the floor. Walked over pick one up to realize that it was leather,ran over to the crate to see that one boot was missing and so was Earl. I ran to the outside door that was open to see Earl standing in the yard with what was left of my boot. Then the next morning I was in the shower and I kept hearing beep,beep, honkhonk, beepbeep,beep this went on for just a about a minute then it hit me MY CAR ALARM. I jumped out of the shower screaming EARL!!!! there he was laying the living room with my keys in his paws looking at me like "yes you called?" The remote was just mangled
 but still worked. He had taken them off the back of the kitchen counter.Then that night he got another pair of shoes that he stole out of my bag when my back was turned. Saved those shoes. But Earl has this way to look at you like "I do this because I love you please forgive me"
     There was times when Joni was ready to throw Earl to wolves when he was a puppy but I would look at him and tell her that I think their is a good dog in their somewhere. And there is, he's a great dog, anybody's snuggle boy, a big goof ball with dreamy eyes He's 6 now. But every once in a while the evil one comes back just to remind us of his skills. Last night I was on the phone with Joni chatting all of a sudden she was yelling at Earl. He had done a counter cruse knocking over things to steal a scoop spoon used to make the hounds meals. Not quite sure what he knocked over but I could hear muttering of "YOU MADE A MESS" before she came back to the phone.
Between Joni and I we have 6 good bassets, 4 boys,1 girl and 1 Evil One.
We live just north of Seattle in Mountlake Terrace.
Check us out on Seattle Basset Meetup.com
Our Howlaween Party is coming up on  Sun Oct 26th.
Good luck

Drool to all that need it

Patty Crawford

Gus http://www.dogster.com/dogs/742885