[Dailydrool] Uncle Fester, and sighting of a basset in SAVANNAH

rebecca stanton rebecca.stanton at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Oct 23 04:18:04 PDT 2008

Our neighbour strongly resembles Uncle Fester (Addams Family), and hence the nickname, of which he is unaware ;-)  Morse is particularly fond of him, possibly too because Uncle Fester always carries treats, and he and his wife have just returned this week from a month in South Carolina visiting their daughter.  So I get Morse up from his deep snooze by just saying 'Uncle Fester's home'; up he shoots, desperate to see his favourite neighbour.   Uncle Fester is in the garden hoovering up the leaves. They are lovely neighbours but very neat, and the house is immaculate.  Our garden is covered in leaves which I convince myself is good for the garden and nature in general, and Uncle Fester has been home just over 24 hours and is hoovering the lawn.  So Morse is beside himself and wriggling with excitement - he goes tearing into their front garden, greets Uncle Fester joyfully, but notices that the treats are absent.  He spies that their back gate is open
 however, and charges past us both.  We are in hot pursuit, with me fearing the worst. They have a 200 foot garden but this is clearly not the object of Morse's desire and he does a sharp right into the house (kitchen door wide open); I am cringing by now as I know only too well what houseproud people they are.  We get in the kitchen and he is nowhere to be seen.  'He's upstairs!' announces Uncle Fester in utter amazement.  I stare bleakly at the ceiling, where a noise not unlike a thundering herd of elephants is radiating through, going from room to room.  Uncle Fester goes to the biscuit tin, retrieves a treat, and then stands on the stairs.  'Treats?' he offers, and within seconds a large nose peers through the landing bannisters at him and gallops down. Lead goes on and I am thankful that there were no muddy pawmarks over their distressingly pale and fluffy carpet.  Then Uncle Fester says that while out in US they visited a beach at Savannah and he
 met a lovely red and white basset - he says he has a picture and I will post it when he lets me have it.  So.... did any Savannah droolers meet an English couple on the beach a few weeks ago?

Becky, Morse & Pumbaa ATB x