[Dailydrool] Dah Biggie Adventure

Linda H dirtherm2 at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 23 18:39:25 PDT 2008

I lost Dewey today. At the park. A very big park.

We started out very nicely, Dewey off leash, staying right with me. When his nose took him off the trail, a call and a waiting treat brought him right back. Fabulous, especially for an 8 month old pup! We went quite a way like this. Then, THE SCENT got him. He was off, into the thick brush, on a deer trail. Damn! At least the brush was sort of navigable at about hip height. I did not have to scrunch over too much. But he lost me quickly. I followed the trail until it branched. Damn! I took off my gloves, started trailing my hands on the brush to leave a mommy scent, and followed one of the trails, calling him constantly. Nothing. Not good. The sun was getting mighty low. I made it to the edge of that thicket, still calling and leaving trail for him. Now, many choices. This is not good. I circled back around, then heard it. Dewey barked. Yes! ! ! !  I plunged back into the brush. I called, and called, and he kept barking. Thank you! Keep barking, baby! He was still following deer trails, so I had an idea of which direction he was going. I kept calling, he kept barking. FINALLY, I saw him. I called him, and held out a treat. He stopped, looked at me, sniffed the air, and took off again. Arghhhh! By now, despite the cold air, I was drenched in sweat. My bad knee was asking me if I was totally nuts. The game continued. Then his bark moved fast. He had come out on the main trail. Yes! All I had to do was get to it, too. Oh no! He took off again! I was so close. I kept calling. Then he was suddenly at my heels. "Hi mommy. Can I have a treat?" Yeah, sure, AFTER I get the leash on you! We were both exhausted. My knee hurt like the devil. Dewey was gimpy. My fleece jacket was covered in burrs. It is going to take me a month to get them all off of it. But my baby was back.

He and I are both going to be mighty sore tomorrow. No big adventures for tomorrow. I will carry my sore baby up to bed tonight. Hopefully, my knee will not collapse as I do that. Hopefully, I will not drop him on my husband when I get there, but lay him down gently in the middle. Hopefully.

Dewey had fun.

Linda and Dewey