[Dailydrool] Sally/Emily dog behavior

Richard Schmeltz richard_schmeltz at sbcglobal.net
Fri Oct 24 03:55:52 PDT 2008

No matter what, DO NOT "get yourselves an electronic collar". No disrespect to anyone who thinks of it as a "training tool", but let's call it what it is ... a torture device. Torturing an animal with electric shocks to spare yourself the trouble of learning to be a good owner is not the act of a humane owner, never mind a loving owner!

Bullet, the eight-year old basset my family recently adopted, was "trained" with a shock collar. It is sad to see what it did to him. He came to us in September extremely unhappy, skittish, and almost totally unable to trust. He is much better today than he was then, thank God, and it continues to get better every day, but I can't help wondering if he'll ever be as happy and content as he deserves to be. One thing's for sure, if I slap a shock collar back on him, he won't be!