[Dailydrool] Shock collars

Chris Dowd cdowd_postalpros at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 24 11:18:11 PDT 2008

For the first time in decades of owning dogs we are using a shock collar on one of our fosters.  Cooper has the worst case of separation anxiety I've ever seen and if I was out of his sight for a second he would bark nonstop til I returned.  A visit from animal control made me realize that we had to do something or all our dogs would be at risk.

The shock collar has been a doGsend.  I only use the collar when I am nearby, but can't be in the same room with him.  After the first couple of days he calmed down to the point where I can usually leave him in one room is I am in another room without a problem.  He's had a couple of setbacks and I put the collar on for another day and he is fine.

A shock collar would never be my first choice, but it is a useful tool when everything else had failed.