[Dailydrool] shock collars

Beverly Szaton bgszap at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 06:27:49 PDT 2008

Ok I have said this before and I will go to bat for it again.
Debbie has a point about rescue dogs having Baggage. But. Shock collars are
a training tool*,not a punishment*.
If you use one and your dog yelps,leaps,runs,cries out in any way,freezes to
the ground--- then you have the wrong wrong wrong setting or are using it
totally inappropriately.
You have to read the training instructions. You have to use common sense.
You HAVE to have the lowest possible setting.It should NEVER EVER be used on
a puppy who does not already know what the appropriate behavior is.
My first Basset was a dangerous dog. Literally. If Warf got on the furniture
and you reached for a collar,a tab,or raised your voice, leaned over him,
you WOULD be bitten,and not a nip. He eventually attacked a child (luckily I
was on top of it, then attacked me when I grabbed him away from
Christopher's friend.)  We consulted professional trainers with no luck--
their methods were far too punitive for me. It destroyed whatever feelings I
had for him.When he died at 12,I was relieved,shed no tears, did not miss
him. How sad is that?

Be sure your dog knows the correct behavior first. If Sally has not be
trained to stay off the bed, then giving her a zap with a collar is similar
to yelling at a child for not doing math that he has never been taught.
You give the dog a chance to do the right thing. You tell the dog to get
down. Or invite her off the bed,or whatever.
Then you zap if the dog does not move. It should be so mild that all it does
is cause some discomfort and distraction. Once  down,reward the dog,even if
the whole thing took ten minutes and3 zaps. Give the dog a chance to do the
right thing and reward the right thing.

Physically going after a dog that is guarding a resource and is already on
the defensive will get you bitten and/or  convince the dog you are a threat.
Next time, the dog may not wait for you to drag her off the bed and instead
of being  defensive will  go on the offense.

If, Like Debbie Winchester and myself and a number of other people you are a
strong personality and willing to wade in there and KNOW it is unlikely your
dog will bite, you should never confront a frightened dog. Bassets in
particular dislike people looming over them and bellowing. I can get away
with it. But I am very careful, and I have had my dogs all their lives and
know their backgrounds.
Electronic collars are not a cure-all. Not for puppies. Not for punishment.
NEVER USE ONE WHEN YOU ARE ANGRY.

Sorry Mama Winchester, I have to disagree. Shock collars, used correctly are
a useful training tool.
And for the rest of you who might  be tempted, I am flame-proof,so don't
even bother.

MomPerson, the Evil B---h whose Nigel rushes to her in delight when she
brings  out his "special collar".