[Dailydrool] revison/electronic collar

Suzabells at aol.com Suzabells at aol.com
Fri Oct 24 14:57:04 PDT 2008

Wow! i had no idea anyone would use an electronic collar for  punishment!  i
have a bad tendency to shoot from the hip when i write or  talk. i was
astonished to think anyone would use these collars to be mean to  their wonderful
dogs, i really didn't!  i had to do something drastic,  Daisy ran out of the
garage like a slippery eel in a flash, i couldn't grasp her  and she ran right
into the path of cars..3 times. we get fast traffic on this  street, i was
terrified for her and for me! my daughter brought her collar over,  put the short
prongs on it for Daisy, opened the back gate, i told her to sit  and stay, which
she did. then i  backed away. Daisy ran out after me,  ignorning my commands.
the dial goes from 1-8 and it was set on 2.  i hit  the lowest button once
and she bolted back into the yard and has never gone out  either of the gates
again. i would never advocate a higher setting unless your  dog's fur is thick,
which the Bassets dont have.

the second and last time i used it was for the garage. she has not gone out
since. there are two buttons of current on the control, the top button is
"continuous" which charges as long as you keep your finger on it. i would not
ever use that. the lower button is a short two beep charge and she didn't yelp,
she just stopped, turned around and went back where she had been told to sit
and  stay. that was it.  the beeper i use , no current there, when she is
chewing on the base of my Idaho Ash tree.  she has chewed the trunk base ,
peeled the bark half way up and the tree appears to be dying but i do use the
beeper from inside the house to warn her to stop. she doesnt chew it   anymore, it
took one or two beeps and she learned.  i would not ever  use this collar to
punish her  , it is a warning system only and she has  commands to go with
anything i do with it. honestly, folks, i would never use  this to be mean to
Daisy, i love this sturdy  lively little dog with all my  heart.

my apologies to anyone who thought i was brutalizing Daisy..  but i  have to
admit, after seeing her learn the vital life and death escapes so  quickly my
only regret now is i didn't have these collars, for the four  children( 3 of
them boys)  i raised. boy. i sure could have used them back  in the 60,70's!
and the 80's. 90's.. it was a loooonnng haul raising those kids,  let me tell
you!

again . my apologies for not making my use of the collar clear. commands
must be used along with the beeper and if all else fails and it is life
threatening or husband threatening, well.. then two short jolts can be very  useful.
also never ever set the dial to more than 2!  happy Basset loving  and
living..i can't believe how much this dog has changed my widowhood for the  better.
Sue/Daisy