[Dailydrool] Flea problem

Shirley Mueller snoozinhounds at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 27 09:54:28 PDT 2008

I am wondering if any of you folks who live close to the beaches have any
problems with fleas?   We have always used Frontline on our dogs since we
did have a dog that developed flea bite allergy and this seemed to
discourage that more than the other brands (that however was many years
ago.)   We just returned from a month away which included walking the dogs a
couple of times a day on the beach.   The fleas were terrible.  My poor
Sally ended up with flea bite allergy and on drugs to help with this issue.
I spoke with the frontline people who said it can take up to 18 hrs for the
fleas to die after biting. A vet where we were staying suggested flea powder
and another suggested reapplying the frontline again after 2  weeks. Again
speaking to the frontline people they likened it to  pouring water into an
already full glass of water.

When we would come back home we would have to go over the dogs for fleas and
get rid of them the best we could with a brush and hound glove. ( I think
next time I will use a flea comb and the furminator after each trip to the
beach.)  My question is to anyone who deals with an issue of fleas and what
advice you might have for the next trip.  Harrison had fleas on him but was
not bedeviled like Sally.  Any suggestions?

Shirley Mueller

Mom to Sally Belle and Harrison