[Dailydrool] Heavy drool production; and Halloween costume failure

Val Brewer vlbzwick at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 27 13:44:11 PDT 2008

Bo and Harley send copious drool to poor Maggie and her family. Also to Sandi for anxiety, and to Drake for his bumps (which sound like contact dermatitis to us--did he lay down on something caustic?).  And to the lost Iowa hound searching for her family.

Our story for today is a Halloween costume failure. I was very proud of myself for making my first doggie Halloween costumes in order to attend a benefit Halloween gathering in town.  I sewed two tan bodysuits for the boys, and made lion manes out of fake fur scraps--these look like small furry Christmas wreaths that go around their necks.  Then I dressed in a leopard-print caftan and we went to the gathering as jungle cats. The boys looked adorable at home--no obvious problems.

But--when we got to the event, it was pouring rain. Therefore, dogs and owners were corraled on a small covered porch--a mob scene. Bo and Harley were still good sports, though Bo began his Eeyore-style mumbling and grumbling. Then the trouble started. I had given Bo's bodysuit too much room in the chest. Bo, who didn't like his wet feet from all the rain, discovered that he could lift his feet up out of puddles, through his sleeves into the inside of his costume, and reposition his feet inside the bodysuit in the chest area. Problem: then he couldn't walk at all (picture a fish or a little kid in footed pajamas where the legs are too long so every step the toddler steps on the knees of the pajamas and trips). So Bo went nose down into the puddles, soaking his entire self and his lion's mane. No matter how many times I adjusted the costume, Bo pulled his front feet into the costume again and nose-dived onto the pavement. I tried hiking the costume up
 in the front and securing it with a ponytail rubber band, but this didn't work for long either. When we took our part in the abbreviated "parade" through the portico, Bo was moaning, groaning, and lurching. Needless to say, we did not win any prizes, though if there had been a category "Got the most laughs", we would surely have won that one.  I think I can fix the costume by taking some darts in the top of it to make the chest more snug, but the charity event is over. Maybe next Halloween (though I doubt we'll be forgotten).