[Dailydrool] Another BTW Story-good idea

Jean Quinn molly0 at comcast.net
Tue Oct 28 12:45:31 PDT 2008

Hi Everyone,
First I want to send joy and best wishes to all who have recently acquired a
basset; heartfelt sympathy and tears to all who have lost their dear
companions; and lots of drool to all those in need.

I read a letter saying it would be nice to know a little about all those
beautiful faces contending for basset of the week. The stories could be
quite interesting. I'm going to go ahead and tell you about my Lucy.

I love Lucy dearly and wouldn't give her up for anything but she is not the
young beauty queen she had been although at 9&1/2 she's still my beauty and
always will be. I became aware of Lucy when she was about two yrs. and
sometimes, even still, I get tears in my eyes when I look at her and think
of what her first yrs. were like. My beautiful, loving Lucy was kept in a
pen that measured about 4ft.X 4ft. with a heavy chain around her neck
attached to a little plastic igloo that sat directly on the ground and was
kept at the farthest point from the house because she barked. From the time
she was a brand new puppy she never had any toys except for a plastic water
dish that was filled in the AM but if she wanted to pass some time, which I
guess seemed never ending, and spilled her water while trying to play with
her dish, well, that had been her quota for the day. As far as food went,
some was thrown over the fence onto the ground once a day or so. No one ever
cleaned her enclosure out so she was living in her own filth. What a will to
live that girl had. Maybe, in the back of her mind she knew things would
change some day and was just hanging on.

When I became aware of the situation I was enraged and threatened the people
that if they didn't hand the dog over to me I would have the law on them
faster than they could blink. I had at one time dated the city dog warden
and graduated with the state animal enforcement officer and would have
called them in if necessary but in my rage the people saw the light and said
I should take the damn dog cause they thought she would die soon anyway.
Lucy came right to me as if she knew, She shied away from the people that
owned her. That poor girl was bloated up like one of those starving babies
you see on TV. Her toenails were the texture of about a 4or5 month pup. She
got right in the car with me and never looked back. When I got her home she
urinated on the floor about the size of a quarter and the color of a penny.
I truly believe I got her just in time. She was terrified of my husband when
he came in from work, his heart was broke at first. The man must have abused
her physically also. With a lot of love and patience she came around and now
she's a real daddy's girl, (and mommy's too, but don't tell him).  By the
time she was three or so she was already greying in the face, I guess
because of the terrible nutrition when she was young. we are truly blessed
to have her still.

I now have 3 bassets, Lucy was our first. I always wanted a cute little
basset puppy but the ones in need always seem to find me.

By the way, Lucy is my little chunky girl now, we always used to pity her
and give her tastes of everything because she never had anything before but
I discovered I couldn't get her to go for long walks due to her deep seated
fear of strangers. As soon as she sees someone she turns around and dives
for home. Our vet is amazed that considering her beginnnings and being
somewhat overweight that she is in such good health. Even though she's
starting to slow down some she's still queen of the pack and lets the other
ones know it when she has to.

This is part of my darling Lucy's story, I didn't want to write a book but
if you're curious to see her she's in the top row all the way to the right
of the bassets vying for Basset of the Week.

Thank you for reading this and never be afraid to give your love to an older
basset in need. The love and thankfulness they give you is the best feeling
in the world.

Jeannie Quinn