[Dailydrool] HOWLIDAY EXCHANGE -- sign ups start NOV 1

Susan Randolph msrandolph at verizon.net
Tue Oct 28 17:00:47 PDT 2008

IMPORTANT HOWLIDAY EXCHANGE ALERT (turn down that basset and listen up
please ...)

Our favorite Howliday Exchange elf Amanda asked me to pass along that the
world-famous Daily Drool Howliday Exchange Sign-Ups will begin November 1.
Everyone will have until Nov 21 to sign up for the fun.

For those who are new to the list, this is an annual tradition in which
Droolers exchange holiday cards featuring their hounds.

HOW DOES IT WORK?
If you choose to participate and sign up, you will receive a list of
Droolers around Thanksgiving. You mail your cards to the list, and you'll
receive cards in return. Most of us receive more greetings from four-leggers
than from two-leggers.

WHAT KIND OF GREETINGS DO PEOPLE SEND?
The creativity of Droolers is endless. You can make your own cards or get
them done professionally. Cards are easiest to display, but larger pieces
are acceptable. The only requirement is that the greetings must include a
photo of your hounds. Once the sign-up link is posted on November 1, you'll
be able to see examples of cards from past exchanges. The best greetings are
in color, feature your pets prominently, and have your name and email (so
other Droolers can recognize you from your posts).

HOW MANY CARDS WOULD I HAVE TO SEND?
There are three lists--and you can sign up for the one that best fits your
budget and time commitment:
The Full list runs 250-350 Droolers
The Mid list runs 125-150 Droolers
The Short list runs 60-65 Droolers

HOW MUCH DOES IT COST?
There's no cost to sign up. However, you have the cost of creating cards and
mailing them. We don't want anyone dropping out because they didn't realize
what it would cost so please do the math before you sign up! And remember,
Droolers from Canada, Europe, Australia and the Far East participate, so
there are overseas postage costs as well.

CAN I SEND OUT CARDS WITH SOMEONE ELSE TO SAVE ON POSTAGE?
Yes, some Droolers do put their cards in the same envelope to save on
postage--it's up to you to find partner(s) by posting to the list (and you
and your partner must both sign up for the same length list). If you are
signed up for the short list, make sure you let the Administrator know so
you and your partner can be put on the same list.

WHEN DO I HAVE TO MAIL THE CARDS?
You can mail anytime over the Howlidays, starting Thanksgiving and ending in
early January. If you can't mail your cards before Twelfth Night, please let
the Administrator know.

WHAT IF SOMETHING HAPPENS AND I CAN'T SEND OUT MY CARDS?
Unfortunately, things do happen: accidents, illness, job loss, a death in
the family. If something happens that will keep you from sending your cards,
please let the Administrator know immediately. Droolers are very
understanding about this. However, people who drop out without letting the
Administrator know why will be excluded from future exchanges.

HOW DO I GET THE LABELS?
Around Thanksgiving, you'll get an email with your list attached. The list
will be already pre-formatted for the standard Avery labels 5160, 1 x 2 5/8
in Word. If you need Excel or plain text, those formats are also available.

WHAT'S A HEROES LIST?
In addition to the Daily Drool Howliday Card Exchange, we like to recognize
people, particularly vets, who have been especially helpful to bassets
throughout the year. You can show your appreciation by sending extra cards
to people on this list. Or, you can list someone you think is a hero.

WHAT'S A SPECIAL PERSON LIST?
Well, you know who a special person is...someone who loves bassets and needs
an extra special pick-me-up during the holiday season. In the past this list
has had former basset owners recovering from heart surgery or
serious illness, basset owners on active duty overseas, etc.

WILL HEROES AND SPECIAL PEOPLE AUTOMATICALLY GET CARDS?
No one on the Howliday Card Exchange is required to send to these two extra
lists. However, they always seem to get cards from several Droolers, another
indication of the compassion of basset owners.

HOW DO I SIGN UP?
Watch for the link to be posted on the Daily Drool on or about November 1 --
it will also be added to the list of important links at the top of every
digest (so you don't have to search archives). You'll have more than 3 weeks
to sign up.

SPECIAL NOTE: Amanda (howliday at amanda-s.net) is very busy and will be
traveling a lot in November, so please be patient if you e-mail her with a
question or concern. She WILL get back to you but it may take a little time.

Drool on!