[Dailydrool] The get along girls

julie jules56pt at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 28 18:53:50 PDT 2008

I was in the kitchen  earlier when all three girls came in and wanted a treat.  They could smell the chicken and thought they would put on their hungry looks.  They were all nose to nose like in a huddle and no one was snarling or biting.  That sure is nice.  I was petting all the noses I could and no one seemed angry that I only have two hands so they had to share.  These girls get along remarkablely well for not having grown up together.  We are so fortunate that three throw away bassets are such loving friends.

These same girls are also quite well behaved in that they don't get in the trash in the kitchen.  Maggie likes to selctively go through the can in the family room.  It is short enough that she can gently tip it with her head and survey the contents.  She will remove things, but only a few.  The bag of dog food sits on the floor and they don't get in it.  They aren't big counter cruisers either, just when there is a delicacy they can't resist.

Ninja was supposedly not wanted because she kept digging out of her fence.  She does not dig.  Not once.  And we have a lot of fence to dig under and a lot of places to paw in the dirt.  Never has this girl so much as had a little soil on her to indicate digging.  Sassy, Daisy, and Sherlock all were nose diggers.  They would bury their bones and think no one would know.  They would have snouts covered in mud because they were nose diggers.  None of the girls we have now has ever dug under or up anything.

Marley was given away because she was destructo dog.  She ate bedspreads and various bits of linen that her people liked.  She also made a lot of messes when she was angry.  She had a good home but for some reason did not fit in.  With us she has never chewed up even a washcloth.  She has had one or two accidents but they weren't out of anger.  She does have a temper and will show it especially to son #3 who likes to pick her up and hold her.  Marley just likes to grouse.  She sounds like a motor trying to start.  When we go to the vet, she gets to see the lady whose son gave her up.  I feel bad because her 15 year old basset passed away a few months ago and she probably would have taken Marley but the timing didn't work out.  She will get on the floor with her and they talk and love for a while.  She is a very special person and is happy that we love Marley too.

Maggie was given up because of a divorce.  They were moving into apartments that didn't take dogs.  She is my big clumsy goofy girl.  She knocks things over with her tail.  And she loves to sit on a person.  There is a lot of her to sit on someone.  At night she wants to sleep on my husband.  He pushes her off and she climbs back on and so on and so forth.  She will sleep in between but sometimes I have to hold on to keep her in place.  It is like being in a puppy pile in a box.  We just don't like being on the bottom.  Maggie is the biggest girl but she has a little bittly yip when she wants something.  Ninja sounds like a great big male but Maggie has a high pitched yip.  It is pitiful sounding.  And usually works to get her something.

We are so blessed to have these wonderful girls living with us.  They all greet us at the door when we come home and talk to us about their day.  We just talk right back like we understand.  Marley is especially attached to my husband and tells him in detail everything she is feeling.  He holds a conversation with her and then they head for the easy chair.  She allows him to massage her hiney while she graces him with her presence.

We have three lovely, funny, hairy girls who bring so much laughter to our lives.  We are so very lucky that they found us.  And I hope they stay a very, very long time.

The Southern Illinois girls are sending sleepy drool to all those in need.
Ninja, Marley, and Maggie
and the very blessed mom