[Dailydrool] Thank heavens for caring neighbors

b.a.sorensen at att.net b.a.sorensen at att.net
Wed Oct 29 16:40:29 PDT 2008

We have to thank whoever up there who looks after our Bassets (and their slaves).  Just as I got home from Dr. appointment and shopping, a car drove up to the house with Copper in it.   Not only that, but the lady said that all the boys had been seen out running loose!  I put Copper in the house, dumped my stuff and ran to check the back door.  It's a sliding patio door and yes, it was open just about a Basset width.
Grabbed leashes and headed out to the car.  Another SUV drove up and the lady told me that at least the 2 Bassets had been sighted a block or so away.  She volunteered to drive, since I was kinda shaky at that point.  We didn't find any dogs, but they had been seen.   I loaded Copper in the BUV since he was anxious and we headed out in the direction the boys seemed to be headed.  Found two girls talking and stopped to ask.  Yes, Bassets had been sighted and one of them apprehended.  He was at a house down the block.   Very nice lady had corraled Duncan with the help of a neighbor boy.  She also had Wilbur's collar.  He'd slipped it when they were trying to look for ID.   Duncan very happy to see mom.  I loaded him in with Copper and continued.   Stopped to ask some more.  Willie and Buddy appeared to be together and romping merrily through that neighborhood.  Seemed to be heading for the lake, which means they are heading for a VERY busy street, too.  Stopped to talk to man unloading golf clubs.  Yes, they had been in his yard when he got home just a little while ago.  Looked down the block and saw Buddy in the park.  He saw me, too and came bouncing up-VERY happy to see mom.  Continued on, calling for Wilbur.  Noticed group of people on the corner talking.  Noticed that they had a Basset with them.  Willie!
They told me how quiet and well behaved he seemed to be.   Thanked everyone heartily and brought the boyz home.  I made a big sign to put up saying "All Home"  Thanks!.  I think we have used up all the accumulated good karma we have.   The door was probably opened with the aid of Peanut the cat.  It was
fastened when I left, but the pin (screwdriver) that we are using had been wiggled loose and Peanut can open that door.  Actually, Copper can too.

Somehow, I'm very tired right now.

Barb, mom to the wandering Copper, Wilbur, Duncan, Buddy the not a basset, plus Max and Gretta (ATB)