[Dailydrool] A confession...

Mary Wilson mewilson at shaw.ca
Fri Oct 31 17:02:22 PDT 2008

Droolers, I have a confession to make.

Many of you have posted stories about your climbing bassets... bassets getting up on tables and counters... and I have laughed pityingly.

"At least Paddi B Basset doesn't do that," I thought happily. "She gets on the couch fine, but that's her maximum altitude."

I laughed too soon. Paddi remains on the floor, more or less... but Vernon!!!  Vern is a lovely eight year old boy who moved in with us after doing time in the local SPCA (jailed for a crime he didn't commit, he tells me). Vernon is --- dare I say it -- a climber! He's made forays up on dining room chairs to snag my Mom's toast from the middle of the table, he's stood on the coffee table surveying the scene...

And a couple of nights ago, at 2 a.m., he achieved his greatest triumph. He jumped up on my office chair and then to the desk, where we feed the cats (since the dogs can't get up there. Ha.) Then, having finished the cat food, he began barking loudy for rescue. (Up is apparently easier than down.)

Droolers with climbing bassets, I apologize! I am not laughing now -- much!!

Mary
and Paddi B Basset (who watches and learns)
and Vernon Q Basset, who is wondering how to get on the kitchen counters