[Dailydrool] spaying

Opal-Deitering, Gaylene gaylene at umich.edu
Mon Sep 29 08:24:12 PDT 2008

I agree with everything that Beverly Szaton said in her email.  In fact, her message should be put on the forefront of a website about the need to spay and neuter.  Well said MomPerson!

Also not mentioned were the statistics of breast cancer in female dogs, or the testicular cancer in males.  The rescue that I support has an ancient beagle Sadie, who I dearly love.  She came in with mammary cancer, they did the surgery to remove her right mammary chain.  It was a horrible surgery and a long recovery for an old dog.  Since she was so old and sick, the president of the rescue, who own the property that the kennel is located on and who manage the day to day operations, immediately made her one of their family dogs.  The cancer is now back, and is all over her body.  Because of her age and the horrors of the surgery and recovery, they have opted to allow her to go as long as she can be happy. She is not in any pain, and is still happy, but my friends will have a very hard time with Sadie's passing.  At least she had 3 good years with them, and she has known love that she never had before.

My grandmother had a beautiful boxer who was not neutered.  Boots had to be put down at the age of 6 because of testicular cancer.  They loved that dog, but refused to neuter him.  6 is way too young to die from something so preventable.

If you can afford to spay your dog, do it soon!  I agree that 6 months is a little young, and I often recommend that you wait until 9 months, but better 6 months than not at all!  Better early than too late!

Gaylene Opal-Deitering
My passions do not replace my relationship with God, but are instead a reflection of it!