[Dailydrool] Drool, dremeling and crate peeing.

JACQIE MARVICH oakrydgebh7 at msn.com
Tue Sep 2 08:45:12 PDT 2008

First of all, drool of all varieties goes out to all those with sick and healing houndies. And special heart healing drool to those who've lost their furkids, young and old. We especially want to send very special drool to Katie and her family for the recent loss of Jodi who joins Rosey Jo ATB. Katie and her husband adopted Rosey and Jodi from me several years ago and have provided them a wonderful loving home. Initially, Katie contacted me looking for one basset but when I told her that Jodi's best friend and constant companion was our blind from birth basset girl Rosey, Katie immediately offered to adopt Rosey too. It was a big decision for me as I had not given any thought to placing Rosey as I felt she would just always be with us since she was whelped and rasied here and was totally blind. Ultimately, I decided that both Jodi and Rosey would be happier if they could stay together and so they went to live with Katie and her family. I've missed them both andalways will but I knew they had the best possible home I could have ever hoped to find for them. Thank you Katie for loving and caring for my two special girls.

I agree with CBL, Momperson and several others that the dremel is the way to go. I use both the corded and rechargeable models much the same way as CBL describes. The dorded one is noisier but much more powerful and does the job faster. The rechargeable is smaller lighter and great for on the road. It holds a charge really well and is quieter and gentler than the corded model. I use it on puppies and dogs that aren't used to having their nails done with a poser tool. Some dogs will accept it easier than the clippers.

I've had some adult hounds and puppies that would pee in their crates. One thing I've made note of is that several of them were raised from birth on lots of blankets or towels which they peed on in the whelping box. Whenever I have a litter of puppies that start toddling around, I place blank newspaper and pee pads in one end of their whelping box. Then blankets and/or towels in the rest of it for them to sleep on. They will instinctually toddle off their bedding to the area where the paper and pee pads are to pee and poop. The other bassets that I've had that peed in their crates all had to be retrained not to and it took a while to do it. One key to that  was to remove all bedding from their crates until they stopped peeing in it and to put them in the smallest crate possible where they had JUST enough room to turn around and lie down which forces them to have to lay in the pee if they peed in their crate. This may sound harsh but it usually doesn't take but a few times before they decide not to pee in their bare crate. Then when I introduce bedding again, I start with a thin towel and work them back up to blankets or bedding. If they pee on the towel or bedding at any point, they go back to the bare crate floor. Another key is to give lots of praise and reassurance when the stay in the crate even if it's just a few minutes and it's dry when you let them out. And treats treat treats. There's no better way to a basset's brain than their favorite treat. Choose one that they like alot and use that ONLY when you are rewarding them for NOT peeing in their crate.

Jacqie Marvich
Oakrydge Bassets