[Dailydrool] Sally's First Three Days

Emily Weiss Dodd emily0608 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 10:49:11 PDT 2008

Sally's first three days were eventful for her. Aside from her long flight
from Ecuador, she then had to contend with a family birthday party, Labor
Day festivities, and a trip to PetSmart with mom and dad. She's doing
beautifully though, particularly for an abandoned dog who is a "foreigner"
in this strange country.

She's a very clingy dog but I'm sure that just goes with the territory of
being abandoned and shuffled around. Matt and I can't leave the room without
her following us, so we're working on that. Surprisingly, she did well with
both of us going back to work this morning. Matt left first, and since she's
his little shadow she cried at the door for about 10 seconds, then laid on
the couch with me. An hour later when it was my turn to leave, I gave her a
treat-filled Kong and set her up behind her gate in the kitchen. She was
concerned for a minute, but Kong kept her busy. I continued to get myself
ready and left the house and returned several times to make sure she knew I
was coming back, and all she did was sit quietly and look at me. I know she
was concerned, but it wasn't like over the weekend when Matt and I left the
house for 3 minutes while we shuffled our cars around in the driveway and we
heard her howling the moment we walked out the door. So the separation is
something we have to work on, but I'm confident she'll be OK.

Other than that, all is well! She's adjusting to her new food and much to
our surprise, she appears to be completely housebroken! No accidents at all
since she's been with us.

One strange thing: Sally lifts her leg to mark her territory in the backyard
and in the neighborhood when we go for walks. Is this common of females? Or
do you think she learned it by hanging out with too many boys?

Emily, mom to Sally Girl