[Dailydrool] newbie

jacanny at aol.com jacanny at aol.com
Thu Sep 4 05:04:06 PDT 2008

Absolutely get the metal crate!!!!   We had the hard plastic ones for our Goldens and it took a long time to get them to accept the crates.  They really couldn't see each other - or much of anything else.  We started MacKenzie (now 6 months old) in a metal crate and from day 1, she went right in.  Having an old Golden outside helped.  Then a few weeks ago, we added another basset puppy, Gallagher, to our clan.  He has his own metal crate and has gone in without a peep every night.  Sometimes he just goes in for a nap.

The old, super huge, plastic crate is down in the basement and hasn't been used since Cysco lost his hearing.  He used to go there during thunderstorms!

As a relatively new basset owner, I must warn you.  Once you have one puppy, you have to have more.

We're excited to be going on our first Waddle "Woofstock" in Sturbridge MA next weekend.  We'll have both bassets.  MacKenzie a mostly black tri-color female.  Gallagher is a mostly red male and just 3 months old.  We can't wait to meet other "waddlers".  Cysco will be staying home because it's too long a trip for his old bones.  I suspect that he'll be glad for the rest.