[Dailydrool] martingdale collars

Nadine Mysker nadine at mysker.com
Thu Sep 4 06:23:15 PDT 2008

First and foremost, yes I stand behind Martingdale collars.  The only
problem I have with them is that I can never get the catch to release
(lousy grip in my hands I guess).  Now for the (true) story that will
make me sound like a criminal and the worst dog possession ever:

While in Alabama last February with spouse and dog in tow I stopped by
a tourism center to pick up information on local events.  For the
first time ever we left Jill the Bagel in the car alone.  Beautiful 72
degree day, windows down with doors locked (I know, LOL) and Jill safe
and secure in the hatch behind a ceiling to floor grate/gate with her
leash clamped to a built in tie down in the station wagon, car within
plain view.   We are in there maybe 90 seconds, it's our turn at the
counter and we ask if dogs are allowed on the beaches.  The clerk
responds, "You mean the dog that just jumped out of your car?".  We
laugh and assure her, "Not our dog, she's secure in the station
wagon!".  And she replies, "You mean the blue Volvo she jumped from?".
 (Yes, that's my car...)

Okay, we don't know how she did it but Jill managed to get under the
gate (an 9" x 10" at best) opening, though the window (which only
opens 10") WITH HER COLLAR AND LEASH ON (which should have caused
strangulation).  But nope, she was out of that Martingdale in a flash,
all 43 pounds of love, and we find her prancing along for the sidewalk
to introduce herself to some kids stretching out after a long car
ride.  I kid you not!!!

Jill survived without any additional loss of grey matter (how would
you know, you might ask, given that the guys in the brown truck have
not yet delivered any) though we were absolutely beside ourselves with
guilt.

Nadine Mysker
Slave to Jill the Bagel