[Dailydrool] My sneaky plan worked

Elizabeth Kielley ekielley at messiah.edu
Fri Sep 5 08:34:58 PDT 2008

When I lost my heart dog, Buford, in June my house seemed very sad and
empty.  My 3 girls were so quiet and there was no "little boy" in the house.
 My husband didn't want to adopt another dog - "Just because we had 4 dogs
doesn't mean we have to always have 4!"  I finally convinced him to let me
foster since BROOD was in need of good foster homes and we had fostered
before.  I picked up Filbert from the kennel we work with and brought him
home.  In no time, he was snuggling with my husband and getting Dulcie to
play again and giving kisses to our sweet Maggie (she's 14).  He and Ma
Barker had a mutual understanding - as long as he would stay away from her,
she wouldn't growl at him :-).  I knew my husband was smitten when he
started calling him "Chuck".  the final straw came this weekend when we had
a blessing of the animals.  My husband said I shouldn't take Filbert because
someone might see him and fall in love and want to adopt him, which I
explained was the point of fostering - love them until they find their
forever home.  I finally got him to admit that Filbert already thought he
was in his forever home and the house seemed alive again and my girls were
happy.  My husband is the biggest softie and even though he tells everyone
it is me that brings all these dogs into our home, it is he who falls madly
in love.  I truly believe my ATB babies, Mattie, Daisy, Benzie, and Buford
had a hand in finding Filbert.  Filbert is playful like Mattie, snuggler
like Daisy, yard patroller with Dulcie like Benzie and he sits at my feet
and is my shadow like Buford.  Thank you, BROOD, for rescuing this wonderful
boy and letting us love him.  As my husband keeps saying, "I can't imagine
who would give up such a good dog!"
Liz Kielley
mom to Ma Barker, Dulcie, Maggie and Filbert ("Chuck" and not a foster
anymore!)