[Dailydrool] My sneaky plan worked

jdeane at everestkc.net jdeane at everestkc.net
Fri Sep 5 15:05:19 PDT 2008

Good story.  I have a very similar one.  We had but one Basset in our house.  Molly we got as a pup a year ago August.  My wife was not too keen on "another puppy" but was open to an adult dog "some day in the future".  I have had an interest in rescue and started dropping hints about fostering.   I kept telling her that fostering was like test driving the new dog for the family.  If there was not a fit we could just re-home the foster when ready.  I knew that, given the right dog, she'd cave in.  The Basset eyes do the trick every time i figured.  Even with my wife professed "mothers nerves of steel", I figured she soften up eventually.

It took a few months of clandestine hint dropping to get the the foster idea firmly implanted.  But then, after months of needs and possible fosters, everything seemed to dry up in our area.  Helena was kind enough to post a DD request for a p/u and short foster  for a dog she found on Craig's list.  Once that fell through we were actually disappointed (a good sign that my nefarious plan worked.  Shortly thereafter  another local "rescue hero" (she takes in problem dogs) had a problem dog coming in but needed to move Elvis to make room.  He was a recent pond pick up and was thought to be rather old.  We agreed to take him but a few days before we were to pick up my mother in law had a life threatening medical issue and we decided that we had to pass.  She made a miraculous recovery and within a few days we tried to see if Elvis was still available.

Luckily, the 1st foster mom thought he was not right for a mixed breed shelter, and held on to him.  We worked the timing out and got to pick him up.  As I suspected, once my wife laid eyes on him she was hooked.  He has worked out to be a near perfect companion dog for our original Basset Molly (who needed a bit of 'training' on her dog 2 dog manners :-)  )  It was no more than a few hours into the foster that my wife was already suggesting we keep him.  At this point I believe there is no turning back on Elvis and unless something very radical happens we will be a foster failure.  The best kind of failure in my opinion!  We still have to make it official, but Molly, both our human boys, the two cats and the wife and I are all convinced he is a good fit.  Strange how life works isn't it?

Jeff Deane