[Dailydrool] Rescue Remedy

rebecca lando rebecca.lando at gmail.com
Fri Sep 5 12:46:32 PDT 2008

Hi Emily,

We tried the Rescue Remedy for our puppy, Humphrey, who had severe
separation anxiety (he'd scream, cry, and bark endlessly and poop all over
the place if left at home alone for even 90 seconds). I have to say, I found
that the Rescue Remedy didn't work nearly as well as Richard's Organics Pet
Calm (http://www.petco.com/product/7743/Richard-s-Organics-Pet-Calm.aspx).
Humphrey hated the taste of the Rescue Remedy so we'd either have to hold
him down and force the dropper down his throat or mix it into other food to
get him to take it. But he LOVES the flavor of the Richard's stuff. We give
him 5 droppers (he weighs 45 lbs) about 45 minutes before we're ready to
leave.

It took us about 3 months, but Humphrey's separation anxiety is now almost
totally gone. It took a lot of work. We found out that he likes to have the
TV on better than music, and that if he can't see the front door, he's a lot
happier. So we put up two sound blankets (aka moving blankets) over the
doorway from the living room, which blocks the front door from Humphrey's
view and also blocks any sound Humphrey might make from reaching the hallway
and bothering the neighbors. It also keeps the a/c in the room so the room
stays cooler. We put up one of those latching baby gates to keep Humphrey in
the living room, since he's never shown a desire to chew or destroy anything
there and since being in the crate traumatized him for awhile (he's over
that now). About 45 minutes before we leave, we walk him and then give him 5
droppers of Richard's. When we come in, we turn on the TV (he likes
Nickelodeon and CNN) and start ignoring Humphrey. 15 minutes before "go
time" we give him a big rawhide or a bone filled with frozen peanut butter
so that he's engaged with that way ahead of our leaving. The most important
thing we learned in trying to curb Hum's separation anxiety, though, is that
he's big on routine. Every day, for months, we would make him sit, stay, and
then we'd leave the apartment for increasing intervals - first 10 seconds,
then 30, etc, up to half an hour. It took a LONG time to get up to half an
hour, but once we hit that threshold, we were immediately able to increase
our abscene and can now go out to dinner, to a movie, etc.

Sorry this is long - but I've been through the separation anxiety and know,
as impossible as it may seem, there is an end to it if you work hard and are
consistent.

We send drool and snooters to all in need.

-Rebecca, Kit & Humphrey