[Dailydrool] Take in ONE homeless hound a year - and be part of the solution.

Charlie Meyer charlie at droolassicpark.com
Mon Sep 8 07:39:48 PDT 2008

Bravo, Sylvie!

While every volunteer effort in rescue and every donation works
wonders, nothing adds more value to the rehoming process than
fostering.  As a board member in BROOD, I know that rescues are really
in the adoption business. Many homeless hounds end up in pounds and
shelters because they weren't properly incorporated in their first
homes.  The downside of domesticated dogs is that they can't fend for
themselves (OK, having Piglet OEBE, I know they can easily get into
mischief on their own or in cohoots with similar four-legged
company.)  Fostering combines the desire to help with experienced home
training to best find and KEEP them in a 'forever' adoptive home.

Qualifications: You already have the desire to help by what you do and/
or give to rescue.  You already know more than you think from your own
Basset. You've already housetrained a dog with a world-class nose.
You know many of the breed's traits, quirks, and needs.  The next step
is the step of faith: opening your door to a homeless hound.

Support: Virtually all rescues cover the cost of veterinary care for
the foster.  Help is a phone call or email away.  Many rescues even
reimburse boarding when you're away. Think of it the other way: a dog
we don't have to kennel is like a four figure annual donation to
rescue.   BROOD spends five figures every year in kennel care alone.

It's easy to get attached to the foster.  Why, one of my cherished
possessions lost in my house fire, was the "I Flunked Fostering 101" t-
shirt. As a guy, I soon realized in rescue that it isn't the women
that get too attached, it's the guys. If I can let go, you can too.

Sure, there are some legendary foster homes out there.  I recall
'Shameless' Suzanne "It's Suzanne. Hang up or else we'll have another
Basset on our hands" Fitch walking her own and fosters in shifts to
stay under the radar of the CondoGestapo.  Or any number of Olympian
fosters out there who make it look so effortless. They all started
like you: by opening their home to make that most direct of acts of
kindness to one needy Basset.

Many rescues cannot afford kenneling bills. Even rescues like BROOD,
which is blessed with a GREAT kennel, rely on fostering to keep dogs
moving to the forever homes they deserve, and keep helping that next
shelter Basset that needs rescuing.  We don't adopt out to kennels, or
only to the most Basset-savvy of homes.  Few of our adopters come
armed with decades of Basset experience. For many, it's their first
dog; making the kind choice of adoption from the start. You were there
once, too.

Be part of the solution. Call or email your rescue's foster person
today.  They will challenge you, respect your limitations, and be
there to help every step of the way.  There are foster opportunities
from short term holds, to that untrained youngster, to heartworm
therapy/special needs dogs, to senior/geriatric 'last home' fosters
(my niche).  There's a special joy in watching that bewildered,
sometimes frightened Basset transform in mere days to your kind home.
And when it's time to go to a forever home, any tear in parting is
overcome by a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction in caring. You
might well see a Basset you helped at a Waddle or other activity
wagging its' tail with their adoptive family.  Tears of happiness then
are OK too. You made a very special difference.

Amid all the sadness that lands needy Bassets in homelessness, can you
please set another bowl?

Charlie Meyer
West Virginia Coordinator
Basset Rescue of Old Dominion, Inc. (BROOD)
Droolassic Park
Keyser, WV

Basset Hound Rescue: Work With Women. Pick Up Dogs.