[Dailydrool] Goodbye Kisses About A Basset From Long Ago...& One From Last Week "Jimmy"

Houndy2 at aol.com Houndy2 at aol.com
Mon Sep 8 10:31:52 PDT 2008

There are of course all kinds of kisses and it is fun to read these short
pieces about Kisses here on this DD about our Hounds. Here are a  couple of
stories in one...of Jimmy and of Joe.

I learned a sweet thing to do for your dog when you go away and entrust  them
to a friend for your time away. A sweet and loving thing a friend of ours
always did for their old but never ready to "go"  rescued boy "Joe" because
life was just too sweet. Joe sure loved his family...his forever home.
And..something of hope and how we try so hard in Rescue and sometimes just give  them a
 for hope and love and for a goodbye.

I used to take care of my friend's Basset Hound "Joe" (Sweet Joe Brennan)
when they went away. Taking care of him was grreat...a loved dog..a once TRASH
dog that had come to know a loving home and living a good life. They even PAID
 me well to watch him and his other dog  and cat family...and I loved  buying
anything I wanted with that money for the rescue dogs...it was a SAVE for  me
as well you know? I could go into a regular pet store  or  order  (just for
FUN!) from the pet catalog and buy dogs toys or  buying a nice dog bed or
something fun  or silly...for the dogs. It was a  respit for me and a blessing to
get to have Joe for a week or so... When Joe  came to us Joe was way old  and
rickety ...uh and stinky too...lol..badd  teeth sorry old body and worn out
when Annie and Pete rescued him. I remember  his smelling soooo bad that the
person who was the first transport person on his  journey to us said she got sick
...had to stop and THROW UP! he smelled so bad!  she had to have ALL the car
windows down..and was asking me HOW EVER to get  the stink out of the crate she
used for him. (PS   transport em to the  car wash and spray down with bleach
solution & water and then  SCRUB!)lol

Annie Brennan who worked tirelessly doing wildlife rescue and rehab adopted
this very lumpy sad and sweet very very old fellow named Joe from us. When she
 and her husband Pete would leave him with us  Annie would plant a big KISS
on his beautiful old domed head.

She would say now that's gonna last ya....or with tears whelling up she
would give him ANOTHER big smooch. His beanie head was white and satiny on its
top...and a pink kiss mark looked so cute. We never talked about it but I know
that because he was so very old ...we just would not allow the thought of his
maybe passing away when they were gone to enter our thinking. You know how
that  is. Well.. it was funny..sometimes if it was gonna be a LONG trip..Joe's
head  would sometimes be smeared and all pink!

So year after year every time they left and I would take care of him he
would have the HUGEST KISS and we all would try not to let my friends Annie and
Pete see ....because every time they left I would think...oh I hope he will be
alright...you know how you do when it is a realized possibility that they
will  need to soon be gong to the bridge. Annie would usually hunt for a long
wearing sticking a long time lipstick (she usually never wears lipstick) to put
on..a LOT on just before she would give him his KISS. Kisses. Gee you know
that  Sweet Joe Brennan he sure did LOVE being hugged and smooched on too as he
had a lot of time to be making up for! Smooshy lovey old Joe. He would wait
for  them to return in amongst the rescue dogs...he knew he was a chosen one.
He was  chosen and loved and he patiently waited.

 We would take care not to pet him on his big KISS mark so that  there might
be remains of it for when they returned from the trips to visit  elderly
parents or sick family members...(Annie is a nurse and is always right  there for
you..be if family or a neighbor) and  well Joe he lived with them  for many
years and  one Thanksgiving we knew Joe was very ill and still  Annie and Pete
invited 4 of us over for Thanksgiving Dinner and we knew he  couldn't last much
longer and his Vet was there and his time was soon and that  Thanksgiving
Annie gave him kisses and let him go. He had failing  kidneys (among other
things...Cancer) and had been getting fluids sub q and  Joe was up on the big couch
in the living room looking out of his soft  brown eyes.

Oh I wish that I could WRITE it well for you all...but I am not so good at
writing Rainbow Bridge stuff like Melba Toast was...like many of you are. Its
just that well it was a most sad Thanksgiving Dinner with Friends gathered
together saying Goodbye..and not saying it. Pretending to eat and not eating and
 crying. Just Annie giving him his last big smooch...good enough to last for
that  trip to the RB and more.

So last week when  "Jimmy" went up to see our Vet again..and he was
failing...I knew that we would be needing to take him our 30#  now.. little rescue --a
young dog that had Distemper who had endured being  neutered, given TWICE
whipworm medication and traveled in a vehicle with many  other dogs (infecting
them?) hundreds of miles to a Foster Home...and weeks  later WE got him and
tried to save him. It was too late. We had a garage  sale to make money for him.
We had such hope.  We hoped it was just a bad  kennel cough.The other Rescue
that had erred, but had good intentions of placing  him did not just pts...but
risked reputation and entrusted him to us....(they  could do no more they had
no more options) well its all a long and very  disheartening storey...except
you know what?  So many of you sent your good  wishes for "Jimmy" and  I just
want to tell you about Joe the old rescue  who only lived for love. He lived as
long as he could and more just for love.  Jimmy tried his best too to stay.

I guess in memory for "Joe" that sweet old Rescue from long ago....I put on
some lip gloss and kissed Jimmy right on top of his round head...and  took
him into our Vet hoping he could pull through and fearing that the convulsions
were NOT distemper...his weight loss's knowing in my heart that he needed to
be  let go. Not to drag out his death. His leaving for the rainbow bridge was
actually good and he did not suffer anymore. He had no more convulsions and
pain  to endure. The sweet grass and the two candles that had been lit also
smelled so  good. Our good Vet let me talk on and on and Jimmy...Jimmy was in my
arms.  He had his kiss maybe against all odds it could pull him through. I
had kissed his beany  head with hair so soft as silk...just like Joe used  to
always get for one of Annie and Pete's trips away  I gave him a big  smooch. At
the time I felt foolish to do that but now I am glad for it.

He wasn't anybody's dog. He was all of our's dog. That's how it just IS
sometimes in Rescue... and kisses...kisses are pretty wonderful. Just a  kiss to
keep him safe for his trip to the rainbow bridge.

Love and Woofin,
Lexa at Basset Rescue of Puget Sound
Thank You Joni for writing earlier about Jimmy. Thank You everybody for  your
good wishes and sending healing drool.