[Dailydrool] thunder and bassets

jules56pt at charter.net jules56pt at charter.net
Mon Sep 8 19:17:45 PDT 2008

We just had a couplereally loud claps of thunder.  I just found out that Maggie is afraid of loud booms.  Ninja was on the couch close but not on me.  Maggie twice sat on her face.  It's not nice to sit on sister's face.  Then Maggie climbed up behind me on the couch and sat on the top of my back.  She was trying to get on the back of the couch.  Instead she was across the top of my back with her head on my shoulder and arm.  Maggie finally went to sleep.  It is rather hot with around 60 pounds of basset trying to become you collar.  Marley went upstairs and got under the covers.  Ninja kept an eye on me to make sure no one ate anything without her.

With all of the sad news on the Drool today, it has me thinking about Sunny.  She is still grouching and crabbing about everything.  She still eats if I give her special food so I do even though she is down to about 39 pounds.  She still controls traffic in the downstairs hallway rather loudly each day.  She still has her sight and hearing.  I have never had a dog with such a stron g will to live.  Sunny has a tumor on one of her ribs and one on her neck.  She still goes outside with the girls and will even try to play a little  maybe just by bellowing at everyone.  She is an amazing old girl from my vantage point.  If I thought she could not enjoy her days I wouldn't let her go on.  Being old is tough for her.  I think the youngsters keep her motivated.  She doesn't want to miss anything.

I guess I am just babbling but I am also thinking about Sherlock who left us almost a year ago.  It was much too soon for him.

Give all your houndies and houndettes hugs tonight.  They grow up and grow old much too soon.  The love we all share makes losing them terribley upsetting but worth it just the same.

Snooters and love from the SI girls,
Sunny, Ninja, Marley, Maggie, and the mom