[Dailydrool] Breed Intolerance

Elena Bermudez embermudez12 at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 10 17:09:36 PDT 2008

I'm just wondering if anyone else has a basset who seems to really dislike another particular breed of dog.  I have 2 bassets and our male seems to absolutely HATE any and all akitas.

The first experience we had with this was shortly after we adopted him and he just went crazy on an akita at the dog park.  Thankfully the akita pretty much ignored him and kept moving...I know some akitas can be somewhat unfriendly towards other dogs so I think we got lucky with that situation.  The next few incidents were with an elderly akita that lived down the street from us and anytime we would pass the dog on our walks Barney would go ballistic pulling and barking and growling trying to go after the other dog.  I think that akita must have passed onto the bridge because the other day on our walk we saw the same family walking a different, younger akita and Barney had the same exact reaction as the other encounters.  Normally Barney is the sweetest dog you ever want to meet and has no problems with any other dogs we come across, but something about akitas make him go crazy!  (BTW my girl basset just wants to play with everyone we meet)

Anyway, I was just curious to see if anyone else had a basset who is a bit discriminating.  We are sending lots of drool to everyone who needs it...we always have a surplus!

Elena, slave to:
Jessie (anyone want to play????) and Barney (don't even look at me akita I will mess you up!!)