[Dailydrool] Breed intolerance

dpmcquade at juno.com dpmcquade at juno.com
Thu Sep 11 06:24:55 PDT 2008

If we attend a basset social event and anyone comes along with a nonbasset, Belvedere will tell everyone all about it. He barks like crazy at anything not basset. But he has no problem at all with bassets or bagels or basset mixes of any sort.

Our wussy Abner gets very feisty with many strange dogs. I can't say I've figured out what the key is for him. But since he was attacked by a pit bull mix, I think that's what caused the problem.

But that doesn't just mean they don't like dogs. If I have my guys out in the yard, they defend their turf from most humans that go by. Abner especially seems to bark most often at petite women. I wonder if he had a bad encounter with one in the past.

We can tell who loves dogs in our neighborhood. The dog lovers walk right by, but the ones who fear them cross to the other side of the street. Doesn't make any difference that I pull the hounds back beyond our line of bushes, some folks are sure I'm housing short attack dogs, I guess.
Pam, with Drew, food slave to the Dashing Bassets