[Dailydrool] Doheny - sick little girl

surferdogs at comcast.net surferdogs at comcast.net
Fri Sep 12 13:55:49 PDT 2008

Just got home from my SIXTH vet visit this week. The nice vetlady called earlier and Doheny's liver enzymes are through the roof. Her alk phos is very high and the bilirubin is 1.4. Normal is 0.4 or less, and at 1.5 they start to see jandice, which is why I hadn't picked that up yet - she's not "quite" there. But that does explain the vomiting today. We did a leptospirosis titer and will start amoxicillin for that when the vomiting improves, though with a normal white count the vet doesn't think that is likely. We have an abdominal ultrasound scheduled for Tuesday morning. Depending on the findings there, she may not have surgery at all next week, may have the original surgery, or may get a combo cystotomy/stone extraction - liver bx.

Of course, depending on the findings and what is happening, we may be canceling our planned trip to the Nationals too. Two weeks away, with 6 days on the road may be too much for her, and I don't want to leave her at the kennel for two weeks (and if she does have lepto, she can't go or stay at the kennel anyway). If she can't travel, I certainly won't leave her in a kennel. Things are pretty up in the air until we get the U/S next week.

If the vomiting continues, I will start subQ fluids and pepcid tonight or tomorrow. She still is well hydrated at this point. I may make a run to the hospital before it gets too late to get some supplies though.

Thanks to everyone for the Drool and good thoughts.

Synthia