[Dailydrool] 'Dental' foods

Kathie Goblirsch Bookwyrm at comcast.net
Sat Sep 13 18:48:12 PDT 2008

> From: "L.K. Metzler" <toppogigio at yahoo.com>
>
>   A question:  I feed my "senior" houndie kids a blend of Nutro Weight Management and Nutro Dental to help keep them from getting too fluffy and to keep their teeth in good shape.  So far, everything is working and everybody eats like champs.  The problem is, Nutro has temporarily stopped making their Dental formula due to the difficulty in getting the "makin's" in the quality and quantity they want.  So, I am trying to find a substitute Dental-type dog food in the meantime.  I tried Science Diet Oral Care, but to a hound, they HATED IT...actually picked the big chunks of the kibble out of their bowls.  So far, I have not had much luck finding another "tooth" dog food.  Does someone out there in Drool-Land know of one that I might be able to get ahold of?
>
>   I keep everybody's teeth busy with hard "shank" and knuckle bones, "dental" cookies (oddly enough Nutro still makes those...), and other good chewies, but I'd really like to find that kibble to add to their regular food.

I feed Hills' Prescription t/d to our Gabby -- we get it at the vet's
and she loves it.  She'll eat all the 'crunchies' off the top and leave
the boring regular kibble for eating hours later.

BTW, I'm new to the Drool.  Been reading for about a week or so. (Please
tell me that this somewhat overwhelming number of doggies who have gone
to the Rainbow Bridge during this time is not typical?)

Gabby (AKA Gabster -- there's a very good reason she's called 'Gabby'!)
is a 3 1/2 yr old (AKC) tri-color. She's our fourth dog (first female)
in 38 years of marriage.

Our first was a beagle/basset (I guess you call them bagels -- we
decided that he was either a basseagle or a beasset), the second was
full (AKC) basset, the third was beagle/basset/springer (momma was
basset/springer and dad was beagle).

When Gabby was about 15-16 months old, after a very scary couple of
days, she was diagnosed with Addison's disease.  As long as she gets her
shot of Percorten every month and her Prednisone pill every morning,
she's perfectly fine.

We've never had a dumb dog, but this one is just an extra step smarter
than any dog we've ever known. She has my husband firmly wrapped around
her dainty paw.  She's also a 'talker' -- not lots of woofs, but has
*multiple* variations of squeaks, whines, yodels, groans, and something
that sounds close to a purr.  She's convinced that the only reason
anyone comes to our house is to see her -- sometimes bringing new toys
and furnishing endless ear skritches.

from a dampish Minnesota,
Kathie G.