[Dailydrool] Alpha Female

Emily Weiss Dodd emily0608 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 11:28:27 PDT 2008

As a new basset parent, I apologize for all of the questions I've been
posting (but boy are there a lot!) but I appreciate all the responses. THANK
YOU!
Next one ... more serious than Sally's yeastie ears is the fact that she's
testing me, I think. She's been with us going on three weeks, and now that
she's getting comfortable in her new home, the sweetness with which she came
to us is disappearing and her fiesty, dominant side is peeking through.

My husband established himself as pack leader early on, and she listens to
everything he says and every command he gives her. She completely IGNORES me
and has even growled/barked at me when I try to get too close to "daddy's"
area of the couch. Matt and I can't even hug each other in front of her
without her jumping up on me.

Is there anything we can do about this to nip it in the bud, or do you think
it's time for some professional dog behavior help? The poor thing has been
through a lot being abandoned and flown halfway across the world to her new
home, but I've been giving her the benefit of the doubt for too long already
and it needs to stop. How do I get it across to her that I'M the alpha
female, not her?

Emily