[Dailydrool] Doheny update

surferdogs at comcast.net surferdogs at comcast.net
Tue Sep 16 08:11:51 PDT 2008

Doheny had her U/S this morning. She is a bit more jaundiced today too.

Basically, she looks like a 90 year old lady inside.
1. Bladder stones we knew
2. gastritis - thickened stomach - most likely from the vomiting
3. Bilateral calcified kidneys - BUN and creat. are normal, amazing!
4. Right ureteral stone and hydronephrosis (swollen/distended kidney) - very painful!
5. Nodular shrunken cirrhotic liver - suspect chronic cholangiohepatitis
6. small amount of ascites - fluid in abdomen

The liver is chronic so suspect the ureteral obstruction and hydronephrosis are acute and put her over the edge. She will get IV fluids here at home and get dropped off tomorrow night for surgery on Thurs. A special soft tissue surgeon is coming in to do the case. (running coags today to be safe) She will have a ureterotomy and stone extraction, nephrectomy if they are unable to adequately repair the ureter, liver biopsy, cystotomy and retrieval of the bladde r stones.

She is being started on the IV fluids, tramadol for pain, parenteral antibiotics, and a "new" antiemetic - not used in humans so I don't remember the name (up all night with a different train wreck of a patient last night) -sounds like "selenium" though. They also recommended a liver supplement with milk thistle and some other ingredients, but we need to get her eating before we can think about that. We also will have a difficult time with pain meds with such a compromised liver.

The concern is whether she can recover now that the hydronephrosis caused the decompensation.

At this point, we are going for quality of life and I will do what I can to keep her comfortable. She never let on she was so sick!!! I hope we have many more years, but only if she is feeling well and pain free.

Synthia and
Bud, Barney, Zuma, Doheny (I don't feel so good), Kahuna (I won "Saddest Eyes" at Woofstock!!!)
Ace the Newf
Saintly Miss Maggie & Baja
Maya the Great Dane