[Dailydrool] tail removal

Lisa Turnquist turnq007 at umn.edu
Tue Sep 16 08:14:22 PDT 2008

Just wondering if any Droolers have been through this with one of their
bassets.  Our foster Hank is only 5 but has severe spinal arthritis
extending into his tail.  He may also have been kicked at one time, we don't
know.  His tail is now fused and curves downward quite tightly.  Up until
now he has been able to get along but now he is getting miserable hot spots
on his bottom.  Complicating this inflamed tissue is the obvious problem of
keeping things clean. His tail curves down so much that it is hard to
visualize the area, even hard to get a thermometer in to take a temp.  The
vet has recommended removing the tail.  We would miss his funny little tail
but if he would be more comfortable without it has to go. This is our little
foster that can not pass adoption tests because of behavior problems but he
is so grateful for his "butt spa" treatments as I call them that when he
sees me coming with the hot packs and the meds he just rolls right over and
tries to help me get at his bottom. Thanks for any info

Lisa and the MN Woofers,

Ella Marie, Sidney and foster Hank