[Dailydrool] Unlikely adopters

DEBBIE.WYNN at comcast.net DEBBIE.WYNN at comcast.net
Tue Sep 16 16:55:44 PDT 2008

I was thrilled when Bluegrass Basset Rescue approved me for adoption of one of their dogs.  I was certain I wouldn't measure up.  I had lost a 12 year old basset mix in December to severe, crippling arthritis; and an 11 year old chow mix the next July to a stroke.  I think the chow died of a broken heart because she loved that old basset, and never seemed as happy or content after he died.  Both of them were sick for years before they died, and both were quite large (one was 70 lbs and the other 65 lbs).  So my focus was on adopting a SMALL dog that I could pick up and carry when they got old and sick.

One of my worst memories is the chow's last trip to the vet.  It was 11:30 pm on July 3rd, and the vet came in to meet me even though his wife had just had a baby a few days before - that man is a saint.  I was getting Buffy out of the car and she was as limp as jello and I just couldn't hold on to her, and we both ended up on the pavement.  I felt like the worst crud ever - there she is horribly sick and I'm dropping her.  Then the vet came over - a small man - and he just hoisted her up and carried her in.  (Men just amaze me when they do that - pick up something impossible and carry it around effortlessly.)

So I felt like the world's worst dog owner when I applied, having lost two in a little over six months and having DROPPED one at the end.   I kept asking if they had any SMALL bassets - I'm sure they thought I was a lunatic.

But I ended up with petite little Rosie, only 33 pounds at the time and now a hefty 35.  And I can carry her everywhere!

So even if you think you won't measure up it doesn't hurt to ask!

Take a peek at my 4 doggies - here's a link to their Dogster pages:
Rosie:  http://www.dogster.com/dogs/876866
Zoe:  http://www.dogster.com/dogs/877823
Daisy:  http://www.dogster.com/dogs/877827
Chubby:  http://www.dogster.com/dogs/877829