[Dailydrool] Basset jobs

Opal-Deitering, Gaylene gaylene at umich.edu
Thu Sep 18 06:33:28 PDT 2008

I have 6 bassets, and with such distinct personalities, none would do the same job.
Clover (12yr old) is an alarm clock and a top notch percussionist.  She tells us when it is time to get up, eat, and go to sleep.  She is also a great drum player.  She uses her tail quite intentionally as a noise maker, shifting her rear to find something to bang on LOUDLY so that she is sure that we hear and attend to her needs.  Could be a box, a paper, a pop bottle, the cast metal table leg, the box fan frame by the front door, the cupboard door, the wall, doesn't matter, the louder the better.  She sometimes positions herself so that she has a bass and snare, so that the tail connects on both sides of the swing.
Sassy (4yrs) would be a plant waterer.  She pees more than any dog I have ever seen.  She is also a great mole and mouse hunter, so she could go into the exterminating business.
Channy (5yrs) would be a slight of hand expert (like her Daddy) or a thief. She is also a grand plotter of evil deeds, often stealing something to direct the attention away from another hound when she wants to be loved.  Not quite up to OEBE status, but if she were a full time house dog, I am sure I could write a book. Her other name is "Dammit Dog", because she can't be left alone for even a minute.  Last night she was eating the bottle of simethicone that I keep on hand for bloat emergencies.  She doesn't like Sassy, and Sassy was the last one to need it, so I wonder...  Channy is too smart for her own good.
Arthur (4yrs) is my tracking dog, we have started (somewhat) training him on this, and he shows an aptitude for it.  Unfortunately I don't have the time to keep up with it and really train the two of us well.  He is also a great lap warmer, and he loves to "flea" us, especially our ears.  Perhaps he has a future in parasite removal?
Rocky (4yrs) is a gifter.  He is constantly grabbing a toy and running to find us with it.  Funny funny boy, he could be one of Santa's elves.  He is also a great romancer of all dogs female.  As such a handsome hound, maybe he could be a doggie romance novel cover model.  They all love him, and he loves them...
That leaves Brutus (5yrs).  Brutie's talent (troublesome as it can be) is to be over-protective of Mommy.  If he could climb into my skin with me, I would have a 65 lb basset shaped tumor.  His eyes fill with love and drink me in.  It is like falling into a warm pool when I look into his eyes.  He is my most troublesome furkid, wants to eat his brothers, and his sire before them.  Doesn't like men, strangers, or the lawn mower.  Bloats constantly. And he carries my heart in his chest.  I guess that he is my body guard and also my love-locket.
Drool to all in need, especially Marigold's family, and also those who took in all the bassets from the auction.  I hope that Laffy Taffy comes home soon too.  Has anyone heard from Amy with the transplant, and any updates on the lady with the aneurism and the man with the heart problem?  We are praying for full recovery for all of you.

Gaylene Opal-Deitering
My passions do not replace my relationship with God, but are instead a reflection of it!