[Dailydrool] The Light Starts to Break Over the Horizon

Lenore Dickinson storybookbassets at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 18 07:52:21 PDT 2008

First and foremost, I want to express again my gratitude for all of the care, concern and support I have received from my friends and family and members of the Drool –both publicly and privately.  I doubt I will ever be able to express how much your kindness has meant to me or repay the debt I owe each and every one of you.
And while everything in my life is not hunky-dory or even close to being back to where it was before it turned south on me in March, I wanted to let you know I have found a bit of peace with the recent deaths of Maggie and Olivia.  Try as I might, I could not wrap my head around it.  We’ve talked before about getting signs from our loved ones beyond the grave.  Some of you have heard the story (or may remember) when my first basset, Dodger, passed that as I left the vet’s I looked up to see a shooting star —a rarity in this part of Southwest Washington – and knew that it was him letting me know he was okay and that he’d spied my dad and was racing off to join him.  And you may remember that when Mags passed and I started the Jeep I heard the opening strains of Rod Stewart’s Maggie Mae (for which my Mags was named).  Since Olivia died, not a day goes by that I don’t hear the start of that song at least once a day, if not more often.  I have not been able to bear hearing the song and so would turn it off.
Tuesday evening I was outside with Abby and Pris talking to a couple of neighbors and someone had their stereo on.  You guessed it, the song starts up and I sort of brace myself when suddenly one of my neighbors points skyward and we get to see several shooting stars racing across the night sky –  not just one, but five -- Dodger, Morgan, Oliver, Mags and Olivia.  And I realized that Mags had to go before Olivia – Olivia had never met the “boys.”  Mags knew she would be needed to meet Olivia as she crossed the Bridge and take them to join the rest of our pack and my folks.
That night was the first night I’ve slept soundly since Olivia’s death.  Maybe I should have listened to the song before …
Lenore