[Dailydrool] More on Doheny

surferdogs at comcast.net surferdogs at comcast.net
Thu Sep 18 19:48:02 PDT 2008

It's been a long couple of days. Doheny seemed a bit better earlier this afternoon, but tonight she was agitated, pacing, and acting very strange. We were concerned that her bum liver isn't processing any of the medications properly. She also has lots of swelling on the left side and I was afraid the feeding tube was extravisating out into the tissue.

So the vet and I had a long talk. The meds aren't working right and we are running out of options and if the feeding tube can't be used, there really isn't anything left to do. The vet's strong suspicion is lymphoma, in spite of it's rarity. The leptospirosis titer did come back today a weak positive so it is possible that this is infectious from the lepto. However, it seems unlikely that an infectious process could do this much damage without any other symptoms. And even if we treat with antibiotics (she's now been on them over 48 hrs) it's unlikely to get significant recovery in a liver so far gone. We decided to put contrast thru the feeding tube and get an xray - if it was leaking in the tissue, then we wouldn't do anymore and I would send her to the Bridge.

Well, the tube is working fine with good placement in the stomach. The swelling is from the low albumin and worse on the left because of the PEG tube. She actually perked up going into xray, so I was told, and wagged her tail. I decided to take her for a walk and see for myself. Once we were outside she ran to the car. I got her back inside and she did a Flat Basset when we tried to get her back in the run.

The conclusion: she's depressed and hates the vet. So the plan is to bring her home tomorrow morning, at least a day earlier than expected. All her meds can be converted to oral and be given through the PEG and she isn't up to full feeds yet, but making progress so we will advance them here. The vet feels she is better off home and happy than there and miserable. I will go back around 0900 and we will reassess, make sure she did well over night, and if all is well, she will come home.

She is still very sick and we won't have the pathology report until early next week. She may not be with us much longer, but if she can come home even for a short time that is a blessing.

Thank you so much to everyone sending us drool. I haven't had a chance to respond to all the messages. I've been spending as much time as possible at the vet with my little girl. It seems to be helping because it looks like she will be coming home.

Doheny thanks everyone for the good thoughts.

Synthia
Bud, Barney, Zuma, Doheny, Kahuna
Ace the Newf
Saintly Miss Maggie & Baja