[Dailydrool] Contemplating an addition

Mary Wilson mewilson at shaw.ca
Fri Sep 19 20:07:44 PDT 2008

I just happened to be browsing our local shelter website and just happened to discover what they are describing as a basset cross. His name is Vern, he's 8 years old and he looks very much like the lovely Paddi B Basset.

We were a two-basset house from the time Paddi B was about 9 months to when she was 3 and a bit... our dear Billy B was also from a shelter and I know some of you remember that we joined the drool looking for solutions for his immune problems. Sadly nothing worked for him.

When we got Bill, Paddi was little more than a puppy. She was extremely enthusiastic about Billy -- she'd had problems with crying at night before we got him, and she never sobbed another sob after he arrived. Now she's fine -- she missed him at first of course but has adjusted well to being the sole supervisor of her rather inadequate staff.

My concern with her is that she's getting a bit sedentary. She doesn't leap up when she hears a car -- howls from the couch then waits to see who it is to decide if it's worthwhile to jump up. She still loves her walks and explores the beach with enthusiasm, but I'm thinking another dog -- even an older gentleman dog -- might get her moving a bit more.

And of course she's older now... when she was a pup it was always "hail dog well met" no matter what dog she met -- now she's a little choosier, but she's always been very fond of other hounds.

Any thoughts on whether we should go ahead? There would be some issues to find out about first... especially re the cats since we have four. And of course someone else may snap him up before the four humans make up their collective minds... but with an eight year old boy (surrendered for being 'too needy') I suspect we needn't be in a huge rush.

Thanks in advance,
Mary
and Paddi B Basset (who has no plans to share the armchair)