[Dailydrool] In honor of Mercy - Queen Grace

Jan Marchlewski jan3luski at sbcglobal.net
Sun Sep 21 20:03:03 PDT 2008

This weekend a drooler was crowned the Queen of the Illinois Waddle.  It was my foster failure Grace.  She was chosen the queen to honor the memory of her blind basset buddy Mercy.  In January, a kind man found two bassets on a rural road in Illinois.  The forecast called for a snow storm.  The man picked up the two bassets and contacted Guardian Angel Basset Rescue.  He named them Grace (because it was the Grace of God that he found them) and Mercy (may God show the blind basset kindness and Mercy).  If not for the actions of this man, Grace and Mercy would not have survived the storm.  One day I want to thank this man in person.

In February, Grace came into our home for fostering.  Mercy remained at the vet since she required extensive medical care.   Within a few hours of arriving at our home, she wanted me to hold her.  As I held her for the first time, she let out a deep sign and I felt her body relax.  It was as if she finally could feel safe.  After a health scare, I decided to adopt Grace.   GABR delayed the adoption until Grace was cleared by a vet - a process that look almost three weeks.  Regardless of the prognosis, I was adopting Grace.  At the end of March, Grace was officially adopted by me.   I found out later that Mercy was also adopted by her foster family.

Grace underwent surgery at the beginning of May to remove a splenic mass.  The surgeon was amazed at the size of Grace's spleen.  Without surgery, her spleen would have ruptured within the next week - requiring immediate medical care. Her biopsy showed no cancer cells.

GABR had plans to reunite Grace and Mercy at the bash in September.  However, the rainbow bridge needed another basset angel.  Mercy departed for the bridge in August.  GABR decided Grace should be Queen in memory of Mercy.

On Saturday, Mercy's mom (Cindy) placed on the Queen's crown on Grace's head.  Lots of tears were shed during this coronation - even Grace seemed moved to tears. It is a great honor for Grace to be Queen in memory of Mercy and other bassets who made their journey to the bridge this year.  Today as we rode on the parade float - Grace held her head high because she knew she represented Mercy and others.  As Grace greeted the crowd, Wendell Flopbottom sat quietly on the Queen's throne in silent tribute to Mercy.

To all who have lost a beloved basset to the bridge, Lady, Lenny Grace and I send our prayers.

Jan
Lady, Queen Grace & Lenny