[Dailydrool] "Off" and other Commands

Marilyn Bickell mbickellhounds at comcast.net
Wed Sep 24 10:34:47 PDT 2008

>>>From: Elizabeth Lindsey <erlindsey at comcast.net>

We use the word "guard" when we want our bassets to lie down...<<<

That's a wonderful example of being able to use any words for any commands.
I used to use "guard" for Miko when I wanted her to guard the car, like if I
had to run in the store.
I'm just really focused on using words that really apply to what I want,
because my brain won't associate command words that don't make sense to the
command; it's just easier for me to remember that "down" means lie down. Or
"off" means get off. "Stay" means stay. "wait" means wait in the general
area. Etc...

That said, I use "here" for the heel command. But only because "here" means
a specific spot: I want you right *here* at my side. Heel never made sense
to me.

Obedience commands and agility commands are very similar in that you can use
whatever words you want to get a dog to do whatever you want. Like for the
dogwalk in agility, for all the dog cares, you can say "fursnitzle" if you
want, just as long as the dog learns fursnitzle means dogwalk.
I use "walk it" for the dogwalk. "Get up" for the A-frame. "Get in" for the
tunnel. None of those words have anything to do with the obstacle, but the
dogs know what I want ... well, except for Rosey who just doesn't get it.

Marilyn, Miko (Chasing lizards in Heaven), Bess, RoseyMae, and Beaver
Cleavear,
Fort Bragg, CA
"You have gone ahead and nothing is the same, leaving paw prints on my heart
that will always remain."- Tibetan Proverb from Prayers on the Wind.