[Dailydrool] Blood letting

julie haegele jules56pt at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 24 17:10:49 PDT 2008

Things are getting back to normal, whatever that is, around here.  All is quiet as everyone is having their early evening after dinner nap.  Ninja is at my feet, Maggie is on the other side of the couch with her belly displayed and Marley is sucking up to the dad as usual.  She loves him and he is so glad to have a girl who doesn't try to rip limbs off when he pets her.

There must be a dominance war going on.  More of a cold war that erupts every once in a while like last night.  Ninja thinks she is top B and she probably is.  They occasionally growl over bones, hooves or treats but last night there was blood.  We were all in the kitchen and Ninja attacked Marley over nothing I could see.  Marley fought back with all she had and Nic got bit trying to get them apart.  I finally got Ninja and he got Marley who was dripping blood.  I have never seen so much blood.

Luckily, it was only an ear.  Marley has a big gash in her ear about three inches long.  It took about an hour of holding her down and putting pressure on to get it to stop.  It  is ugly but she will live.  Marley was so mad that she bit at Nic who has several marks on his hand.  Marley has quite a temper when riled and I'm sure she didn't want to be stopped.  They are getting along ok today.  Maggie hasn't got an aggressive bone anywhere that we have seen.  She is very tolerant of everyone.  Her only fault besides being a bulldozer is that she takes things outside and forgets to bring them in.  Nothing indiscrete, just slippers and ducks.  She was hiding the dad's croc so he wouldn't wear them too much and wear them out.

We will always miss our grouchy girl and her bassetude.  I look for her in her usual spots, behind the table, infront of the fan in the living room, in front of the TV, or on one of the pillows.  I keep thinking she will want to go out and come to the door.  I expect to see her at the door with the others when we come home.  I look in the front yard and can see her sniffing every blade of grass, weed, flower and stick.  I see her checking her pee mail by the box.  And i imagine I can hear her tags jingling.  Only those things will never happen again.  And Never is such a very long time.  I smile and then I cry and then I go on.  Her echo is still here.

Missing the grouch tonight, the mom, Ninja, Marley, Maggie, and Sunny ATB